Brazilian jiu-jitsu or BJJ is one of the most common disciplines used by many MMA fighters.
Lots of fighters are using this discipline because of its effectiveness in taking down an opponent that most of the time results on winning the match. We often see this technique being used in a fight but most of us don’t know much what BJJ really is. So let us all know some of the important facts about Brazilian jiu-jitsu below.
- BJJ began in the early 1900’s and was started by its founder Esai Maeda.
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a combat sport that mainly focuses on grappling and ground fighting techniques.
- It is believed that this technique started in Japan as it is a direct descendant of Judo.
- Jiu(ju) is a Japanese word that means “gentleness” and Jitsu(jutsu) means “art” so basically jiu-jitsu can be translated as “gentle art”.
- This technique was developed to be used as a form of weaponless method of defense by Samurai warriors.
- Modern day Brazilian Jiu-jitsu’s creators was said to be the Gracie’s, Helio and Carlos. Whereas Carlos Gracie was the first to study BJJ and have been taught by Mitusyo Maeda, the student of Judos founder. But the one who adjusted the technique was Helio to suit his small body frame.
- BJJ can also be used by smaller persons to defend themselves against larger opponents by using proper techniques.
- Though it has some stand-up moves, BJJ is more destructive on ground fighting techniques.
- Gracie family promoted the effectiveness of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu against other styles of martial arts by creating the Ultimate Fighting Championship or UFC.
- Helios youngest son, Royce was the first UFC Champion when he defeated Art Jimmerson.
- Combat sport BJJ focuses on winning without throwing strikes to the opponent.
- Famous actor Mel Gibson was once taught BJJ techniques by Rorion Gracie. These techniques were used on his movies like Lethal Weapon.
- BJJ practitioners are using uniforms similar to a judogi but with tighter cuffs on the pants and jackets.
- Like any other disciplines in the world, BJJ is also using belts with different colors to signify the rank and skill of a certain BJJ fighter.
- Though there are many registered BJJ federations in the world, the first Jiu-Jitsu federation was the Jiu-Jitsu Federation of Guanabara.
- The most distinguished federation are the Sport Jiu Jitsu Internation Federation (non profit) and the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (profit) that both holds a number of tournaments around the world.
Last modified: February 22, 2018