Ievgen Skyrda (head coach and founder of the club “Borets” / ZR Team):
2016 for our club and for me personally has become a kind of turning point. On the 1st day of the new 2016 year I decided that I would only deal with the affairs of the club and completely abandoned the IT business to which I was engaged earlier. Unfortunately, when you are trying to combine two different things at the same time it would be impossible to achieve 100% efficiency in one of them. You have to set some priorities. So when the time has come, the beloved business absolutely outweighed the possibility of getting a consistently high income. During the year I had no regrets about my decision and now I am really happy.
This year was quite intense for our club. Unfortunately, not all the goals I set were realized but, nevertheless, we were managed to do a lot.
A lot has happened this year so I would highlight only the main events and the first I am going to admit our highest achievement of the year:
— In December 2016 our club had more than 130 children from 3 to 14 years old. 130 children! My head goes round and round when I am thinking about these children – they are our future! Only by bringing them up we could change our country. There are no other variants. We need a strong, intelligent and worthy generation who are going to think not only about themselves or their loved ones but also about all the people around them!
— The year has begun with the preparations for one of the most prestigious championship in the world of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – European Jiu-Jitsu IBJJF Championship. Unfortunately, not everything was so good as we wish – just before our departure we had to picket the Embassy of Portugal in Ukraine as Yaroslav Blazhko and Roman Nepota were refused a visa. We spent a whole day under the walls of the Embassy in 20 degrees of frost! But we were supported by hundreds of people not only in Ukraine but also all around the world and thanks to all this support by the end of the day we finally got the visas and were able to fly to Lisbon. As a result of the championship Yaroslav Blazhko became a silver medalist in the blue belts division (ages 18-29)! For today it is the first medal of such a level in Ukraine;
– In April Yaroslav Blazhko became the champion at the Rome International IBJJF Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu No-Gi championship in the blue belt division. It is also the first medal of such a level in Ukraine;
– Yaroslav Blazhko has taken part in the Abu Dhabi World Championship UAEJJF and won 3 fights but unfortunately lost the 4th. Although we have lost our medal, an invaluable experience was obtained. Perhaps it was even more valuable that a victory;
– We have opened a large summer training ground in Maslyanikovka;
– Our team has got the 2nd place in the Ukrainian championship of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu No-Gi;
– We have opened a new gym in the city center where more than 60 children from 3 to 13 years old are engaged;
– The main gym in the city center has been repaired;
– We have signed a sponsorship agreement with the company Biotexcom. Thanks to this cooperation now we have the financial opportunity to visit different international championships;
– Roman Nepota and Yaroslav Blazhko have won the prestigious championship Paris International Open;
– Our team has got the 2nd place in the Ukrainian championship of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu;
– We have got hundreds of medals in more than 20 regional championships during 2016.
I wish to express my gratitude to all the people for their support – with the construction materials, equipment, financial assistance for trips to various championships and many other things! Thank you friends!
Last modified: November 8, 2017